Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Monday, April 27, 2015 - First week in San Geronimo

Parker's new companion from San Diego...Elder Porter.
This week has been a crazy yet, amazing week! :) 

Starting on Tuesday, I left Buenos Aires, and I went to my new chapel. There, I actually didn't go to my new home right away. I had to help the Assistants pack and unpack luggages of the people going home all day, so I spent all day with Elder Merrill, one of the assistants, while Elder Porter stayed at the chapel and made sure everything ran smooth there. He stayed there with Elder Peña, the other assistant. But it was super fun. We ran too and fro all day, and about 6 or 7 at night, I finally was able to go to my new home. Let me be honest... the house we live in is big, but it really sucks. There is always light, which is nice, but there is no water. Ever... We are in the process of finding a new one soon though, so let's hope! But the area is awesome! It is a very rich and nice area. Very clean, not that loud. Nice big streets. And best of all, everyone is friendly. It's very "States-feely". I like it a lot, other than our horrible house. Literally, I got to the home, and this thing is old. Missionaries have lived in it for 20 years or more, and well, my first day I broke three doors..... Great... Good start Elder Weiss. Hahah It was funny! But my companion, Elder Porter, is an awesome guy! He is from San Diego, California. He is 22 years old, and he has about 21 months in the mission, so we will probably be together until he goes home, which is fine by me, because we get along super well! He is just like all my friends at home! Also, I live with two other people. It used to be six in this house, but now its only four! Elder Hasler, from Las Vegas, Nevada and Elder Zúñiga from Costa Rica! They are both awesome and make life great!

Being Zone Leader has been really fun! We are always doing stuff so we never really have time to waste, but the days are going by fast due to that! haha I like it a lot! I have lots to learn still, but it is really fun so far!
We have a couple of awesome prepared people here. We have a family of a man, named Jonathan who is a less active man for a long time, and his wife who is our investigator. They are really progressing, and Jonathan is almost reactivated, and his wife really wants to be baptized. She got an answer from prayer that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God, and so she is really wanted to learn. They just need to be married, but we have talked to the ward about how they can help, and we already have plans to help us so that they can get married. We also teach a lot of people, but I forget their names.... haha I am still new here. And this area is HUGE! So I will be lost for a while! haha

I have loved my time here in San Geronimo so far, and I am really excited to serve! I am over about 18 or 20 missionaries ( They told me 28, but about 8 were taken out when I got here, due to our mission getting smaller ) and it has been great so far! Actually, Elder Nielsen, my companion from the MTC is in my zone and is one of the district leaders, so we get to talk a lot now and catch up which has been awesome! Anyways, I love it here and I am super excited for what is ahead! I love you all! Have a great week! I am praying for you all! :)

Love,
Elder Weiss :)

Mother's note: I told Parker the family was voting on my sister's pregnancy on if it's a boy or girl. Here's his vote:  WOW. What a week! I put in my vote that Alysha and Ryan have a girl! :)
Also, here's what Parker said about his new cousin's baby blessing:  Josh has a boss baby with a boss baby blessing. Sweet! haha

On a fun side note- Parker's dad Kerry got a text Sunday night from our Bishop. His kids went to Haiti right before Parker's mission. The text he sent had a couple pictures of Parker with some guy we didn't know and his text said his daughter is FB friends with this guy who lives in the DR (he was their guide in Haiti) and he is now in Parker's ward. The guy told Parker to friend him on FB and he saw that the Maynes were mutual friends of theirs and asked how he knew them. Pretty cool huh. What a small world!  

Attached are some pictures of our big yet crappy house. haha :)