Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Monday, July 28, 2014

Man it has been a strange week, just crazy! It has been good though, I have learned so much stuff!

This week, Elder Montoya came home from the capital...  alone. Elder Peña is still out in the capital, living with the president, to feel better. He will come back home this Friday. The President has put us three together, Elder Montoya, Elder Quiñonez, and I, so now I am working in both areas! It has made the work a little hard, because we don't have much time teaching our own investigators. But I have seen many blessings. One of our investigators, Manuel, got to go to EFY with the young adults in the ward this week. When he came home, he was a changed kid, and he looked at us and said "I need to be baptized." We have asked permission from the president to baptize him this Saturday. If all goes well, Manuel will get baptized this Saturday! It was a great blessing to see the change in him. He went from being a timid kid, not so sure about his position in life, to finding his love for his Savior. Oh, so that you know who I am talking about, it is the son of Jose, the spirit's other convert! Lots of people say "my convert", but I don't think I can take that credit. I supply information, but I have learned that the spirit is the one that testifies and converts the hearts of the investigators. It's the Holy Ghost's convert. I just was lucky enough to see the blessing of their conversion process.

I had time this week to read two books! I read "Our Search For Happiness" by M. Russell Ballard on Wednesday. Took me one day to read, but the power behind that book is amazing. I tell you, he wrote that book for investigators, but even I was touched by his words. I also read "Our Heritage" on Thursday. That book explains everything about how our church began and how we are who we are today. I think these week has been amazing because I felt the most powerful spirit as I read those two books. I received my testimony of the truth of this gospel. It is so perfect and so true. Now you can see why I love going out each day and sharing it with the world. 

Now as you know, the gangs have been a havoc in my area. I am pleased to say for the entire week I have only heard three gunshots!!!! Still, bad. But it is a lot less. They are calming down, and the area is more at peace now. 

I do have to share something funny though. For some reason there is a girl on our street, that every time we walk by, she screams at me, yelling "I AM GOING TO MARRY YOU! LISTEN WHITE BOY!!!!!!!!!! I'LL MARRY YOU." At first I didn't know what to do. Just kept walking. My two companions were dying of laughter. Then Elder Montoya offered that we contact her. So we did. Ya, she didn't let up. So we walked away. So every day as I walk by she makes those comments. Kind of funny now though.... I think I might take a video one of these days. Crazy lady. I stay far away from her. Hahah thought it was a funny story. To prove how crazy this country is, the other day there was a man walking down the street, about 56 years old, in a thong. Ya, I thought I had seen everything. Guess not..... But hey, even though my mind and eyes are eternally scarred, it was a funny story that I thought I would share. Hahah 

Overall this week has been amazing. I have been on a spiritual high recently and I love it. The people that we are teaching her are only a few, but the change I see in them every day is truly amazing. I pray for you all that you all can earn your testimony just as I did this week. It only strengthens your love for this gospel. I love you all. I am happy, even when life is throwing me all these horrible curve-balls. I am happy, because I have the best job ever!!! I work for the Lord! 

Dios les bendiga. 
Elder Weiss :)


Mother's Note:  Parker and I email chatted for a bit. He shared a few extra things and some funny stories that I will copy/paste here:
We too have tons of ants in our house, but that is just normal! They crawl on our desks as we are studying, sometimes on us as we sleep! Except they are so much tinier than the ones in Utah, and there are millions of them. We try to control them, but it is hopeless. And the cockroaches here, OH GOSH they are huge and fast. And when they fly..... Hay mi madre..... Scarier than the terminator. Goodness. Spiders don't bother me anymore. One was crawling on me the other day, and I just starting playing with it. Never thought that fear would leave, but there it went. Hahah They are pretty fasinating. Although the big ones still kind of get me nervous.... hahha

 I get to go to the Temple at the end of August, so I am super excited for that!!!! Also transfers are coming up on the9th of August. I might be leaving this area, but I might stay one more. I mean, I have been here since April (Man time flies). Who knows. While Elder Peña is in the capital, he is helping do the transfers, so he might put a good word in to make me stay here one more transfer. If I stay one more, I will be in Barahona until the 23rd of September, when I will have 11 months out in the mission!!!!!! If I leave this transfer, I will leave in August. But as of right now, I have no idea what will happen. I just put trust in the Lord that He knows where to put me. :) 

 I get to go at the end of August, so I am super excited for that!!!! Also transfers are coming up on the9th of August. I might be leaving this area, but I might stay one more. I mean, I have been here since April (Man time flies). Who knows. While Elder Peña is in the capital, he is helping do the transfers, so he might put a good word in to make me stay here one more transfer. If I stay one more, I will be in Barahona until the 23rd of September, when I will have 11 months out in the mission!!!!!! If I leave this transfer, I will leave in August. But as of right now, I have no idea what will happen. I just put trust in the Lord that He knows where to put me. :)

My health is good. I am happy for that. We have been drinking lots of natural juice from all the fruits we get from members, so that is a nice change. :)

My health is good. I am happy for that. We have been drinking lots of natural juice from all the fruits we get from members, so that is a nice change. :)

(I asked Parker to tell me something funny that's happened to him. Here's his story:)
Something funny...... well there was one time that Elder Quinonez and I were walking down the street, and we decided to go down a road that was somewhat narrow. As we were walking down the road a car was honking behind us to pass, and we were as far over to the side as we could! So the guy, out the window yelled, "Greengo!!!!" which means white boy, "Greengo!!!! get the freak out of my way so I can move! Do you know anything??" I yelled back "Well I know how to walk, so wait." I started walking slowly, so he leaned out the window again and said, " HEY!!! Didn't you hear me? I said----.." As he was yelling at me, a bird pooped on his head. Then I stopped walking and was laughing so hard I almost fell to the ground, then my companion told the guy "The bird says to shut up and let the missionaries walk." Then he laughed and asked us who we were, and we ended up contacting him. Hahaha

(He then ended with this:)
Mom: "Parker, stop drinking all the milk."

Parker: "No."

Sorry if you that it was going to be something better than that.... I just miss milk. Boom. Done. I am out! Love you! :)



Elder Weiss and Elder Sanchez (an Elder in his zone)

This little girl is from Italy and taught them some Italian

Elder Weiss with Jose and Dilsia (converts)