Monday, March 2, 2015

Monday, March 2, 2015- Hay Mi Madre



Hey everyone! Sometimes, I wish I could write in Spanish. It would be so much easier for me. haha Well, just wanted to start off by saying thank you so much for all the support and love I have been getting! I've gotten a couple of letters and such and they have been  great and I definitely feel your love so thank you!!! And I love you all back! :)

This week has been a roller coaster. Ups and downs! I think I'll start with what happened with Francisco. Francisco as you know is getting really close to his baptismal date, and since we last had talked he had still been keeping all the commandments, and so on Tuesday we talked about if he has a true desire to follow Christ and be baptized. He said, "Well, I know I need to do it, and I feel ready. I accept to be baptized on the 7th." Let me just tell you how much love and happiness I felt in that very moment. It was indescribable. We left that appointment and I turned to Elder Millward and said "This is what the mission is all about, right there." It was a very happy moment for us, but as this being a weekend of Independence Day here in the DR, which was on Friday, we decided to set up the next appointment for Friday, to help him to stay away from temptations such as drinking and stuff. Here, Independence Day is called Carnival... it's basically a big party day. Lots of drunk people and crazy stuff. haha So on Friday we showed up to his house to see how everything was going, and Francisco let us know that he fell into temptation and had drank some beer. It was a really sad moment for us, especially knowing that his baptismal interview was the next day. We made the decision that he needs more time to prepare. But we let him know that it was just a step back and that it isn't the end. I'm sure with time he'll be able to do it. It's not my time that things happen, it's on the Lord's time.

As for Yeni and Nicolas, there were some problems in their paperwork (there really wasn't.. this country just wants more money) when we went to their marriage this week, so they set up another appointment for this week. So, now that all the paperwork is in order, they'll be getting baptized on Saturday! They have already passed their interviews, and they seem beyond excited, and us as missionaries are too! :)

We also have been teaching Yoel, and he is now ready for baptism. He'll also be getting baptized this Saturday, and he has passed his interview. For a 12 year old, he is really smart and he is already such good friends with almost all of the ward, so we are expecting to have an amazing Saturday. Baptizing a whole family and another child of God. :)

Funny side note, we saw a monk today. Dressed in the robes and everything, except he was in flip flops... and he was buying Burger King. It was really funny. I wanted a picture, but I respect him, so I didn't take one.

I made a Banana Bread with some members that have been helping us out big time in the missionary work this week. We almost always left with members this week, so I wanted to do something to thank them. Pictures to come. 

On Sunday I had a beautiful opportunity to pass the sacrament. We were trying to show the younger kids that we should have reverence for Sunday, so the Elders were asked to pass the sacrament. Wow, it has been a while. I love the priesthood that I hold to be worthy to do sacred ordinances and help others renew sacred covenants. Wow the priesthood is amazing. Only the true church of God has it. Not even some of the wealthiest people in the world can do what we can with the priesthood we hold. The Lord entrusts us men with a big power, but with power comes responsibility. 

This week I have really been focused on the attribute of Christ: Listening. I'm really trying to listen to everyone and to all of the opinions before putting in my own. I've noticed it helps things have a better end result if I don't jump right to my own conclusions, but actually listen to figure out what others need, and not just what I want. It has helped tons and I am so thankful that we have these guidelines that Jesus himself taught us, so that we can become more like Him.

Transfer calls are coming up this Saturday, and I feel like my time here in Buenos Aires is coming to a close... I have been here for six months! Wow, can you believe it? It has been such a beautiful time. Who knows what will happen, but with all faith in the Lord, I know what happens is what needs to be done. 

I love you all. I am proud of you all for the decisions that you are making to keep following Christ. Now here is a question for all of you: What are you willing to do to make your faith in Christ grow this week? :) I am grateful for the love and support I receive and I am praying and hoping that all of you are receiving the blessings that the Lord has for you.

Con amor,
Elder Weiss :) 

Mother's note: I've been keeping Parker updated on my own scripture reading and this was his reply to my mentioning how I read that we wouldn't have known about the prophets Zenos, Zenock and Neum if we didn't have the BOM and how many other books we have lost. Here's his reply...

I think it is so crazy what you learned by reading the Book of Mormon... why? that's what I learned this week too! So weird how that worked out. We were talking as a house on the fact that the bible is so changed we need the Book of Mormon, but we wanted to have proof so we could show investigators. There is one that I remember as of right now, it is in Numbers 21... I forget the verse... but Moses quotes from a book the "Wars and Battles of the Lord." From that scripture we know that before there was a book about that. But now it is lost. So it is crazy. That would have been a way cool book to read! Also, in a vision that Paul has is incorrect in the bible. In one verse it says the people with him didn't hear a voice, but saw a figure. But Paul himself later on testifies that the people with him heard the voice but didn't see anything. It contradicts. It just proves the bible has been changed. Also, Paul in 1 Corinthians writes about another letter that he sent to them before talking about staying away from fornication. 1 and 2 Corinthians are the letters Paul wrote, so if there was another letter before 1 Corinthians, that means there should be another book called Corinthians. Anyways, just goes to show how bad we need the Book of Mormon. just like Nephi says in I think Chapter 10 (not sure) he says that many precious things have been taking out of the Bible. So you know..... another witness of it. :)

Mother's note: Parker recorded his choir number that he'll be singing in for when Elder Holland comes to visit and sent it to us. If you want to listen and see Parker sing (no solo he said) then click on the link below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7r7-YXdSncUeUd4aHdDeXNJQlE/view?usp=sharing



"Special photos just for you Mom. I found my dream car mom!!!!!...

"LOOK IT IS SO CLOSE!  haha :)"

"Banana Bread I made."


"The healthiest Mac and Cheese ever."

I'm not sure if these are new pictures or if we showed them before.
If so,...here they are again.


I love how Parker got the girl to do the "smolder" look too.

"This was one of the members
 I made the banana bread for! Her name is Nayrobi!"