Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Monday, September 21, 2015 - Rainy Days

Hey everyone! Hope everyone is happy and healthy! 

This week has been fantastic. The beginning of this week was full of rains. I think all the tropical storm notices finally showed up, because this was some hard rainstorms! Literally, we had streets full of water. It was like crossing rivers. And because of all the rain, I actually caught a little bit of a flu. Nothing serious, a little cough. But still annoying. And I was using an umbrella the whole time! But I still got soaked, because every car that passed by our side splashed water from the "river street" onto us. And if we tried to block that with our umbrellas, the rain would soak us from above. So it was a lose lose situation, but we had a lot of fun with it and we were laughing a lot. Actually, due to the rain, lots of people invited us into their houses, and we were able to give "rain forced lessons" that actually turned out to be a success! 

A couple of awesome stories! First off, on Friday we got to do exchanges with the new missionaries from the MTC again! I got to leave with Elder Robinson, from Colorado. He was great! Really cool guy! We got along great from the get go, and as the work began, all of our appointments were just firing us left and right. So we began contacting, and I told him to take the lead and take us to the golden investigators hidden in the area. Well, he took us to a house that seemed to be run down. But we knocked, and a man, Hugo Quezada, came out and greeted us. His house is actually really nice on the inside. Very well kept up, and the man is a successful man! He is a Jehovah's Witness and didn't seem interested in our message as we first started talking. But then, the topic came up up about who really is Jehovah, and as we shared our belief with the scriptures, he realized that what we were saying to him was true. So he asked us to keep coming back and to prove to him that what we are teaching is true. I am really excited, because the area where he lives has always been a hard area to find new investigators, but now that he is listening to the lessons, we can have him invited friends and neighbors, and the area will begin to flourish. Big blessing for that area.

We have been focused a lot with Kenya this week. She has been progressing a lot, and we have felt a big influence of the spirit that we need to set up a baptismal date with her for the 10th of October. We were going to do it yesterday, but she wasn't home. So we are hoping to do it this week. She was the only one of all of our investigators to show up to the church this week, but as she was there, we started talking about the Liahona, and FHE. She was really interested in the Liahona, and really wants to start doing FHE, but she can only do them on Sundays. So next Sunday we will be doing one with her! Also, she has already promised to come to all 4 sessions of General Conference. I know in due time, she will make the big step of baptism, whether I am here or not. And I am ever so excited for her. 

We are working hard, I am loving the work, and we are having lots of fun in the meantime. Funny story for the week: As I was contacting with Elder Robinson, we contacted a house that in the front had a car with bullet holes all on the back and a flat tire from what appears to be a shotgun. Well we didn't see it as we walked up to the door, so we introduce ourselves to the people and this old man, like 74 years old says "Don't you know I am a super gangster? Did you not see my car? I am dangerous man. Don't mess with me." I laughed, then I saw his car and got silent. I was actually kinda nervous. Then the old man laughed and said "No I am kidding. Someone robbed me, and shot my tire so I couldn't follow them." Then he laughed like it wasn't a big deal. So I just said, "Well.... now what?" And we all laughed. He still didn't want to hear our message though, but a funny story.

Love you all! Next week I will be in Barahona on Monday, so I am not sure if I will be able to write on Monday, but we will see! Thanks for all your support!
Love,
Elder Weiss :)

More from Elder Weiss: If you don't hear from me on Monday, I will get on on Tuesday because I will also be going to a place called the Zona Colonial with the President. Its in the East Mission, and he gives those that are going home the opportunity to see one of the tourist areas before going home, and after that I will get on if I don't get on Monday.

MTC child. Elder Robinson and I."

"I am a Model. My companion caught me modeling..."