Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Monday, August 31, 2015 - It's Starting

So really great week!!!!!

On Tuesday was transfer day. Some of my best friends in the mission left, including Elder Hope, or should I say Mike Hope, now that he is home. Hahah weird.... I actually met his parents at the MTC. Very nice people. I never got to say an actual goodbye to Elder Hope. He just kind of waved at me as I drove away with one of the Office Elders to take luggage of the people who were leaving back to the MTC where they were going to sleep that night. That was the last time I saw him. But, I'll see him again real soon. :) So crazy part of the day, the new assistant is from Costa Rica, and although he knows how to drive, he is afraid of driving a pick up truck, especially when its full of luggage, and we had one more load to take to the MTC, and I was assigned as his companion at the time, so he threw me the keys and said, you are driving. I was like "Are you nuts?? In this crazy country? No way. Its almost been two years since I last drove." He said, "Well, too bad. Get in." So ya, I drove for the first time in two years! And it was a truck, full of luggage, driving in the crazy streets of the DR where there really are no street laws. Ya..... it was a fun experience, but I never want to do that again. But cool to say I did it. Check that off the bucket list. haha

Wednesday was a great day! Now I live with 3 Latins, so its all  Spanish from here on out! Its been fun though. It helps me keep learning. So we visited with Nicauris and Rosa, and asked if they had been praying. Nicauris told us that she had received an answer that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God. So now both her, and Rosa, have felt the spirit touch their hearts and testify of the truth of the message. So what more could we do, but give them a baptismal date?? And we did just that! And they accepted. Even though we've been struggling to find someone receptive to our message, the Lord still finds ways to help us in the work. 

Friday they sent out tropical storm warnings and I got tons of calls of preparation from the mission, and in short, we stayed home all day. Oh, and the electricity left at about 1 in the afternoon, and didn't show up again until 9 at night.... on Saturday. So all our meat and food in the fridge went bad and ya. Thanks tropical storm Erica.... I sure appreciated that. The storm was cool though. Lots of rain, and wind.

Saturday I had to do a couple of baptismal interviews for the Elders and Sisters in my district. Then in the evening we went to a baptism of the Sisters. It was really neat. They were able to help a 94 year old man come to know of the gospel's truth.

Sunday I got to sing in the Stake Choir in a meeting for young single adults. A Supreme Court Judge from the US came and talked. And he is a member. He talked about the Atonement in such a way it left me wondering if I really ever did understand the Atonement. It made me amazed in the sacrifice that Jesus did for all of us. I truly love Him. He suffered for us. He died for us. He loves us. Can we even comprehend what he did???? The talk I heard left me completely grateful for God allowing His Son to die and to take upon Himself the sins of all the world. Amazing.

Well, that was my week! First week of this transfer went by too quickly.... I can't believe it. Anyways, I love you all, and thank you so much for all your support! :)

Con amor,
Elder Weiss :)

This is all Parker said additionally about the Tropical Storm Erika:  We had to stay inside on Friday for a huge tropical storm. It broke the fence around our church, because a huge tree fell on it. The winds were way strong. But since that day, nothing.
"The one and only picture I took all week......
a selfie, of course."


"Here is my sexy selfie for the week.
 Snagged this at church. haha"
I call this. 'The Smulder'